Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The war on drugs is stupid

I get a lot of crap for being a Republican and supporting the use of drugs. My view is simple to understand, if it is a victimless crime, it shouldn't be illegal. Smoking weed at my leisure isn't affecting anyone but me. Therefore it should not be illegal. Let me share a story with you that happened to me today. Last November my doctor proscribed me Alprazolam (Xanax) to help me get to sleep. I have problems with anxiety and it makes it hard for me to fall asleep at times. The doctor gave me a prescription for a year’s worth, to take when needed. Here we are in May, seven months later. I went to go get a monthly refill and they can't give it to me. Why? Because it’s considered a controlled substance by the all knowing government. Basically because the government decided to make a victimless law that has done nothing to curb the use of drugs (if anything it has made crime rates go up), I can't get a prescription filled. The law says I have to get a new prescription at the end of 6 months, not the original one year that my doctor and I decided was right for me. Nope, the government knows better about my healthcare then me and my doctor. Now I can't get a refill until I go back to my doctor and talk to him. Thanks for looking out for me Government, you certainly know how to live my life better then I do. Anyone here see why I don't support nationalized health care?

I believe marijuana, mushrooms, all narcotics and other "controlled substances" should be 100% LEGAL. What should be illegal is if when you use those drugs you infringe on someone else’s rights. If you make drugs legal ALL drug crimes, most robbery and gang activity would drop like a rock. Right now the criminals have the monopoly on drugs and control them, hence the crime to get them because they are rare and controlled. They rob people, banks and houses to get money to buy drugs to sell them. If drugs were legal you could go to your local CVS and pick up a bottle of Oxycodine for a migraine. The criminals wouldn't have the market any more since you can just go and buy the drugs. The newly legal drugs would be controlled just like liquor and cigarettes. 18 or 21 to buy and they could be taxed just like them. Honest citizens would use the drugs correctly after discussing it with their doctors. Abusers would still have the same AA meetings they could attend, but the government should not mandate it unless what they are doing is affecting other people’s rights. If they want to abuse it in their free time, more power to them. Alcohol is no different than any other controlled substance in some cases its worse. The effects of alcohol are worse than weed, yet weed is illegal and alcohol is not. I don't endorse drug use, but I do endorse the free choice to use the recreational drug of choice without legal ramifications.

No comments: