Friday, May 9, 2008

Open carrying a gun

God forbid I stand up for my rights. I mean after all I should be a drone of the state right? I should have no will of my own and just give in for the common good right? That sounds like a book I read once... oh ya "1984". Anyway as many of you know, or don't know I am an avid gun owner and I carry a handgun with me everywhere I legally can. I conceal when I need to and I open carry when I choose to. I was open carrying the other day and had an encounter with an off duty police officer. I wouldn't call this encounter with the officer negative, just pushy. So I was out in town the other day running some errands open carrying as normal. I decided to stop at Sheetz to grab a drink and a bite to eat. As I pulled in I saw two spots empty right in front, and before I know it this asshole zips right in and parks right on the line (taking up both spots) with a big SUV thing. He looked right at me, gets out with his daughter and goes in. I was pissed, but figured he's just an ass so I let it go. Well I go inside, get my stuff and stand in line. He stands in line right behind me. He is a very tall 6'5+, built, Bas Rutten looking, shaved bald head kind of guy. As I am waiting in line I hear him

Him: "You should cover that up"
Me: A little startled "Why? It's perfectly legal in PA to open carry".
Him: "Well you might scare someone, please pull your shirt over it"
Me: "And who are you"?
Him: "I'm an off duty State Trooper".
Me: (Getting a flyer out of my pocket at this point) "Again its not illegal to OC in PA, look here". As I show him the law.
Him: "Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it".
Me: "Well I choose to, especially now in the summer when its warm. It's hard to conceal, especially with this holster, and its not illegal". I turn back around to pay for my food and leave.
Him: "I wish people would just listen and have common sense. He shouldn't be OCing in public like that" To his daughter who was about 10.
Me: (Before I left) "I've been OCing for some time now, no one has been scared, no one has died, and no one has called the police. It's legal and I choose to protect myself".
Him: "Well I think I'll write my representative to get that law changed".
Me: "Go ahead you won't get far with him (Rob Kauffman), he is very pro-open carry. Have a good day sir, I need to get going". At this point I left leaving him obviously flustered that I know my rights.

Ya god forbid I know my rights... right?

No comments: